Dermatologist, Dr. Donald Belsito of Columbia University Medical Center recommends washing all new clothing before wearing for the first time. Not once, but twice. Why? A number of reasons:
1. Urea formaldehyde resins used to prevent wrinkling can spark irritation or full blown allergic reaction.
2. 2010 study by the U.S. Government Accountability Office found fabrics sold in the U.S. exceeded allowable levels of chemical resin.
3. A fungus can grow on clothing. Especially when they’re wrapped airtight in packaging.
4. Clothing can come from all over the world. Where it’s created, stored, handled are unknowns.
5. One wash may not rid clothing of all toxins, bacteria or fungus. Two is recommended for peace of mind.
But don’t take our word for it. The recommendations of Dr. Belsito has been featured in The Wall Street Journal, The Today Show, Esquire and other highly respected news outlets.